Sunday, April 23, 2017

Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus Book Review


Title: Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus
Author:  Nabeel Qureshi
Genre:  Christian, Religion, Theology, Autobiography
Format:  Audiobook
Narrator:  Author











Nabeel Qureshi's story is life changing.  It is paradigm shifting.  It's full of love and despair and hope and brokenness.  Some parts had me crying.  Others had me (very literally) jumping for joy.  Just the dedication alone had me on the verge of tears. He dedicated this book to his Muslim parents and I could hear his love for them in his voice.

Nabeel is the son of two Pakistani immigrants, who came to America before his birth.  His family is a devout Muslim family with a long and prestigious Muslim lineage.  He grew up a devout Muslim, had chapters of the Quran memorized, and was always ready to advocate for his religion.

In college Nabeel met a Christian who became his best friend.  Nabeel shares with the reader the struggles he went through theologically and emotionally as he tried to prove to this friend that Islam is the true way to God.  He shares how and why he ultimately chose Jesus and how that decision totally changed his life.

I learned a lot about Islam in this book.  It was eye opening to learn about Islam from someone who grew up practicing the faith devoutly, who is emotionally tied to it, and who has happy memories attached to this faith he ultimately chose to leave.  Nabeel is also very well learned in apologetics.  He made me want to learn more about Islam from the Quran and Hadith.

This isn't the typical "coming to Christ" story we hear in the West.  Seeing God from Nabeel's POV (which is a mixture of Eastern and Western ideology) was convicting.  At one point, a friend of his asked if he would be concerned for his safety if he was to choose Jesus over Allah.  Nabeel responded that, while he wasn't concerned, it would be an honor to die for God, even if that God turned out to be the Christian God.  Like I said, convicting.

Nabeel reminded me how blessed I am to be a child of God.  He reminded me how amazing my King is.  He reminded me to be proud to belong to our God.

But this autobiography isn't just for Christians.  There are theological arguments for and against Islam and Christianity.  There are historical arguments and scientific arguments.  Whether or not you agree with either religion, you will learn a lot.

Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus definitely deserves 5/5 stars.  I would recommend it to anyone and everyone.  

P.S.
This is the link to Nabeel's youtube channel.  I definitely recommend watching his vlogs.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCepxnLs6GWAxAyI8m2U9s7A

No comments:

Post a Comment