Sunday, April 9, 2017

A Court of Thorns and Roses Book Review

Title: A Court of Thorns & Roses
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series:  Yes, first book of a trilogy
Status of Series:  To be completed May 2, 2017















ACOTAR is a retelling of Beauty & the Beast in which Belle hunts to provide for her poor family and the Beast is a Fae, one of the creatures all humans know to fear.  Let me begin by saying, this book was so freaking good.  In fact, it was the best YA fantasy book I have read in a long time.  (If you are wondering why I am just now reading ACOTAR, please check out my "About Me" page.)

Beauty & the Beast was my favorite Disney Princess movie as a child, so I was skeptic when Sarah J. Maas began twisting the traditional story.  Feyre is not the avid reader that Belle was and Maas removed some of the benevolence that I always attributed to Belle's character.  But Mass quickly won me over with the world and characters she built.  Each of her characters was strong yet flawed and I grew to love them all, especially Lucien (and even Rhysand).

I was slightly worried that this book wouldn't live up to all the hype surrounding it but it did.  It most definitely did.  I think ACOTAR is a series that a reader should go into knowing as little as possible, so I'll say no more.  If you haven't already, go.  Go now.  Read it.  Its great.  No, seriously, do it.  


Spoiler found below.  Please do not read if you have not finished the book!!!

ACOTAR opens up with Feyre hunting with a bow and arrow in the woods.  I don't remember how The Hunger Games opens but it was too close for my liking.  I immediately thought of Katniss.

Where is Gaston?  Is he Isaac Hale?

When I started liking Tamlin:
When he assures Feyre that her family is alive and well-cared.
When he said "Do not do whatever you were contemplating."
When he first complemented her: "You hair is...clean." AHAH

I nearly died laughing when Tamlin asked: "And do you...love anyone else?" I may have cried.

I did have one issue with Tamlin's character in this book: he let Amarantha torture Clare.  That was hard for me to stomach.  I get that he didn't really have a better option but I wish we could have seen him try to do something.  Even if that something was killing Clare to let her out of her misery.  Also, Rhysand protected her identity!  That made me happy.

The fact that Maas introduced Rhysand as the most attractive person Feyre had ever seen and he saved her life the first time we meet him made me trust him regardless of anything else he did.  Is it gonna be a love triangle?  I hope not.

Because Lucien had a fox mask, I kept waiting for him to do something conniving but he never did.  Even though I was on edge about his character, I loved him.

I literally rolled over in bed laughing when I read that Rhysand bet on Feyre for the first of Amarantha's trials.

I love that Feyre thought "I did it for you" towards Tamlin when Rhysand told the court about their deal.  I also loved it that Rhysand hinted that he thought she would win. 

WHEN RHYSAND GOT HER THROUGH THE SECOND TASK I LOVE HIM THIS MAKES ME HAPPY.  Then he kept her together as she left the throne room.  Yep.  Love him.

When Feyre came to her last trial and saw there were two boys and a girl for her to kill, I was super worried that it was gonna be Alis and her boys.  Dodged a bullet there.

For a second I thought the last way to break the curse was Feyre being willing to die for Tamlin.  But no.  Then the answer to the riddle was love.  Come on.  Really?

I really loved the scene where Rhysand tries to help Feyre and fails; then Tamlin kills Amarantha.  I was surprised because I thought Amarantha would be the villain for at least the first two books, but overjoyed that she died.  And not expecting Feyre to become a High Fae.  That was a total surprise for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment