Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Yes Please

I enjoyed reading Amy Poehler’s Yes Please. It’s the average celebrity memoir full of anecdotes about her career & personal life, with some industry insights here and there.

The first 20 minutes of the book were hard to get through because Amy rambles and talks in circles.  I started the audiobook in the car on vacation and the people with me made me turn it off.  But once I got to the first chapter, she kept me entertained and interested in her life and career. I consider that a win for someone who has never watched Parks & Rec (I know, I know.  I'll get on it eventually).

I found some of her anecdotes really fun and entertaining and others fell flat for me.  I often found her sense of humor too crass for me to enjoy (I don't find jokes about wanting to have sex with your foreign cab driver to be funny, just lazy).  But even when I didn't find her sense of humor funny, I was interested in the story she was telling.  I especially loved her story about the one skit on SNL that she regrets.  That anecdote was hart-felt and touching; it alone would have been enough to justify reading the book.

I give Yes Please 4/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment