Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Public Relations Book Review

Title: Public Relations
Format:  Paperback
Genre:  New Adult Contemporary Fiction
Series: Stand Alone













This book is exactly what you would expect from two authors who work for Buzzfeed. 

There were some good moments in the book but they don't happen until at least 70% into the book. Up until then the book is slow and the characters are boring. I enjoyed reading about Rose's relationship with her boss but her relationship with her best friend fell flat. Her relationship with Archie was fun to read but they don't actually get together until about 80% into the book.  And even then, it wasn't great.  Just okay. 

One of my complaints is that Rose's second love interest is an attractive, 36 year old surgeon using Tinder to find a relationship. Not a fling but a relationship.  If that is how Tinder is actually used, then I have been grievously misinformed. The number of pop culture references were also a little much.  

Now onto my main criticism of the book: Archie is Harry Styles.  Someone who isn't a fan of One Direction may miss it but I felt like I was being bashed over the head repeatedly with HS references.  Allow me to list out some things that Archie and Harry have in common: 
1.) British 
2.) pop singer 
3.) long hair usually pulled up into a bun 
4.) two identical bird tattoos on chest 
5.) heart tattoo on shoulder 
6.) wears sparkly ankle boots 
7.) wears a flamingo shirt 
8.) dated an older woman at the beginning of his career. 
And those are just the things I noticed!  One or two I could've looked past but that was unbearable.  Sometimes it felt like reading really, really boring fanfic.

If you are looking for some easy to read chick-lit (or fanfiction), then Public Relations may be for you but, even then, its probably not.

And in case you didn't believe me:

Flamingos


Bird Tattoos

3 comments:

  1. Review twins .. and I linked to your Goodreads review in my blog review. I had no idea about the Harry Styles thing and now I find this seriously disturbing. Seriously. Disturbing.
    "Someone who isn't a fan of One Direction may miss it " = me!

    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah. Yeah, I found that SO weird. Thanks for linking my review!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete